Thursday, October 24, 2013

Spanking: A successful and beneficial form of punishment

      Spanking can be a successful and beneficial discipline method if utilized correctly. How many times have you heard the expression, “I was spanked as a child and I came out fine”. I believe there is some truth to that statement. Spanking is one of the most widely known and used punishments of school aged children. Since the 1940's when studies first started, it has been found that majority of people have been spanked and occasionally spank their children. According to studies, nine out of every ten preschool aged kids from two to six year old have been spanked at least once in the past week. In 1990 George Holden, a psychology professor at Southern Methodist University, conducted research that show 90% of all parents use spanking as a form of punishment. 70% of the study participants were college educated women. However, these numbers have decreased since times have changed. As a parent and a supporter of spanking, I use this method when necessary as one of the forms of discipline in my home. As parents, we try to limit or correct any negative behaviors that children exhibit. Spanking has shown to be effective on a short term basis in getting a child to change those behaviors.


      Alternative methods are successful in some children. However, some kids are difficult to discipline with milder methods so spanking may be necessary in those situations. According to Robert Lazalere Ph.D who studies parental discipline, “Some kids are difficult to parent. At times they simply won't stay in a time out and they can not be reasoned with. That's where conditional spanking comes into play” (Lazalere 2012). In recent studies spanking has shown to be very effective when used in conjunction with the milder methods such as time out and reasoning. For example, if a child exhibited a bad behavior use time out first. If the child resist time out than use spanking to enforce the punishment. After that make sure to reason and explain your actions. This has personally been a success in my home but you definitely need to communicate with your child.


      There are other factors to consider for spanking to be beneficial. A good home environment and relationship between the parent and the child is essential when spanking is the choice of discipline. If the home environment and relationship is not good a child might perceive the punishment as violence instead of a consequence of their behavior. One benefit of spanking is that it can teach respect and teach children to take responsibility for their actions. For this reason, is why I enforce this discipline in my home. When I spank my kids they know they have done something serious enough for that consequence. A parent can gain the most benefits of spanking when they lovingly and rationally explain the reason for their actions. If a parent uses spanking appropriately it can be a great tool for teaching children right from wrong.






(Supporting perspective, 466)


Moninger, Jeanette. “The Great Spanking Debate”. Parents Magazine. January 2012. Web. 24 October 2013.


Rochman, Bonnie. “”The First Real Time Study of Parents Spanking Their Kids”. Family Matters. Time Magazine. 28 June 2011. Web. 24 October 2013.


Slade Ph. D, Eric. “Spanking in Early Childhood and Later Behavior Problems”. Pediatrics for Parents. 2012. Web. 24 October 2013.


Addleman, John. “Spanking”. International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family Vol 4. 2003. Web. 24 October 2013.

4 comments:

  1. I like the amount of citations and your MLA format very much so, I would like to see more breaks in the first paragraph.
    1. Topic sentence gets the point across of the idea of this article
    2. Your support is wonderful
    3. Transitions are good
    4. your quote sandwich is nice
    5. Grammar and spelling is appropriate
    6. Argument is well stated and supported

    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topic sentence:
    Very strong topic sentence. I could clearly see what you are supporting.
    Supports:
    There is enough information to backup your idea
    Transition:
    I had no problem throughout reading this. Awesome!
    Quotes:
    All quotes were properly cited. Well organized.
    Grammar and spelling:
    I don’t see any grammar or spelling errors.
    I don’t have any suggestions but maybe adding some pictures? Your topic is very argumentative and same time it’s very hard to decide what’s actually right and what you support. And I think you did really good job bring out the idea!

    ReplyDelete