Friday, October 18, 2013

Spanking: A Controversial Issue

      Spanking has been a controversial form of punishment amongst many for some time. Spanking, also known as physical punishment, is something everyone is probably familiar with. It is a tool commonly used to eliminate negative behavior in children. In the older days children were told to go outside and get a switch off of the tree when they were being bad. In other circumstances, parents did not need the switch. When children were misbehaving they were put over their parent's knee and smacked across the bare bottom. The majority of people ,at some point in their life, have been spanked as a form of punishment in some type of way. It may seem as a normal means of punishment for children, however it has recently raised attention among some parents and others. People are now questioning if spanking is the right kind of punishment to correct our children. Personally I am a supporter of spanking. I was spanked as a child and I carry the tradition on with my children when needed. Spanking is viewed very differently among people, countries, and cultures. There are actually countries that have banned spanking as a form of punishment to protect children. Children are going to be children. They are going to be mischievous and get into trouble.

      As parents, it is our responsibility to use the appropriate form of punishment to correct the behavior. Researchers have started studies to inquire if spanking our children is doing more harm to them than good. A lot of parents are starting to wonder the same thing. Some studies have shown possible long term mental effects on children. According to psychology professor Sandra Graham-Bermann, “It's a very controversial area even though the research is extremely telling and very clear and consistent about the negative effects on children” (Graham-Bermann 2012). Some of the negative effects that spanking can have on children are still begin studied to this day. Who would have thought something that is so common and has been done for generations can now be such a controversial issue? This has caused researchers to take a closer look at physical punishment on children. It has also caused parents to take a second look at using physical punishment on their own children. The arguments that I have studied have not changed my opinion regarding spanking. I will continue to use spanking ,as needed, as one of my methods of discipline in my home

      Furthermore, many people feel that physical punishment is not the appropriate action to use to correct a child. They believe that alternative methods such as time out, positive reinforcement, and loss of privileges are better discipline tools to modify behavior. In contrast, some parents still feel that spanking can be a successful tool for punishment if utilized correctly and they still practice it today. Remember that any discipline method parents choose to use it has to be for the best interest of the child.

                                                             

(Central Argument 404)
Refereneces:
 Smith, Brendan. "The Case Against Spanking". American Psychological Association. Vol 43. No 4. April 2012.Web. 18 October 2013.

10 comments:

  1. • Topic sentence
    The topic sentence worked well.

    • Support
    There is good support, but try to be more specific to strengthen your arguments. Such as, “There are actually countries that have banned spanking as a form of punishment to protect children.” Which countries?

    • Transitions
    Try adding more transitions to make some of the points seem less choppy. Also, I think you could make another paragraph about research.

    • Quote (in "quote sandwich" format with proper MLA citation)
    There is a quote with correct format.

    • Grammar and spelling
    For sentence “people at some point in their life has been spanked” should be “have been spanked”

    “People are questioning is spanking the right kind of punishment to correct our children.“ would be better as “People now are questioning if spanking is the right kind of punishment to correct their children.”

    • Strong argument

    I like the argument and think it is going well. I look forward to reading the rest of your blog.

    I think you are off to a great start and have a lot of good thoughts you are getting in. Try creating a new paragraph after the sentence “As parents, it is our responsibility to use the appropriate form of punishment to correct the behavior.” The second paragraph could be about research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topic sentence – Not a bad topic sentence. A combination of the first and second sentences might be stronger.
    Support – More support for some of your statements would make for a stronger argument.
    Transitions – Try to create a smoother transition between the paragraphs.
    Quote – The quote seemed to ask a question rather than confirm a position.
    Grammar and spelling – Very few errors.
    Strong argument – Not too sure which side of the argument you are on.
    Compliment – Your writing reveals your passion for this subject. I like the personal aspect of your blog. The illustration is perfect. You did a lot of work!
    Suggestion for improvement – Tell me which side of the argument you are leaning towards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topic sentence
    Can be strong but not real strong. I feel like I am lost with the topic sentence and an online predator might misinterpret it the other way around.
    Support
    Good support on the central argument.
    Transitions
    I see some transitions in there but the second paragraph’s transition between the parents and the study could have flowed a little better.
    Quote
    The quotes here were properly cited in MLA format.
    Grammar and spelling
    There are few to none grammar and spelling errors in this post.
    Strong argument
    You really have not stated even just a little bit which side you are on so I can see where will this topic flows.
    Compliment and suggestion
    I love this topic and I look forward to this because I am a big fan of spanking as a form of disciplinary action. I would suggest that you put in the statistics of the people using it versus the statistics of people who did not use it and was successful disciplinarian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Topic Sentence: Topic sentence was good. I knew what I was reading about right away.
    2. Support: The support was adequate for all of the points made.
    3. Transitions: Transitions were done very well. There was absolutely no confusion and each paragraph had a clear purpose.
    4. Quote: Quote was properly integrated.
    5. Grammar and spelling: Grammar and spelling appear to have no mistakes.
    6. Strong argument: I'm not exactly sure what argument is being made.

    The post is very informative, but I'm not sure whether or not it's arguing something or just informing people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. topic sentence: well written it conveyed what you are talking about well.
    support: good information, maybe throw in some statistics.
    transitions: very good transitions, nothing wrong here.
    quote: good quote, well used, but maybe use one more with statistics.
    grammar: no really glowing errors.
    argument: I did not really feel your argument, just felt like i was reading an article on spanking. maybe add something like, " i feel that the world has out grown the spanking, our world has changed and i no longer feel that the physical punishment of spanking has a place in our world now."

    ReplyDelete